I am an Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (IMF 96918). I am supervised by Charlotte Ormond, PhD (PSY 22066).
I believe that we all have a deeper “knowing” inside of us, that we can listen to ourselves and know our own hearts. For years, this connection was lost to me and I would look externally to “experts” for answers. It has taken some time for me to reacquaint with my inner wisdom by learning to slow things down and pay attention to all the little cues in my body that constitute my inner voice. Having been on this journey, I especially enjoy working with people who want to reconnect with their voices.
In my previous life, when the answers still came from outside of me, I completed engineering degrees from UC Berkeley and Santa Clara University and worked in Silicon Valley. I experienced firsthand the pressures that go with a high tech career. As an engineer, I enjoyed the way my mind was challenged but longed for the opportunity to interact with others at a deeper level. Therapy has been a perfect fit in that I still get to use the analytic, creativity, and problem-solving skills that I enjoyed as an engineer but in a context that allows for more meaningful personal interactions. Since changing career paths, I have:
- Received my Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology from John F. Kennedy University and worked with adults, children, and couples
- Led creative expression and mindfulness groups
- Volunteered as a visitor with hospice patients
- Taught parenting classes centered around the Active Parenting curriculum
- Co-facilitated a social skills play group
- Planned and led weekly art activities for middle school children that centered on self-expression and self-esteem
- Designed and taught communication and anger management workshops
- Ran an art group for women and children staying at a domestic violence shelter
- Completed Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Volunteer Advocate Trainings
- Attended Sensorimotor Therapy, Internal Family Systems Therapy, and EMDR Therapy trainings
- Spent countless hours painting, collaging, sculpting, sewing, and otherwise creatively expressing myself!
It has been quite a journey so far and I continue to love learning and growing. As my ability to hear and honor myself increases, I feel a sense of well-being that comes from living a life congruent with my deeper knowing of what is right for me.